Sunday, August 07, 2005

Week 1 on planet Nippon

My final day in the UK was pretty eventful - got up to pack the last of my stuff, sit my driving test (failed) drink some Champers with James, Sian, Charlie and Sigrid, then pop into a Taxi to Heathrow. Shortly afterwards there was an Earthquake http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4711381.stm in Chiba (a little east of Tokyo) that could have put a damper on my travel plans. However, the plane departed as expected and I landed a smooth 12 hours later after having watched Robots and Meet the Fockers (with a four hour snooze between them). The temperature when I landed was about 32 with very high humidity. Carrying around two bags and a suitcase isn't fun when you are sweating bullets.

I eventually arrived at the apartments (http://www.moriliving.com/sa/66/en_plan_price.html - the office is the silvery building, and the apartment is the little one with two vertical strips on either side), had a shower and went to Shibuya to the tasty Tsukino Shizuka to meet up with my team for a meal. I collapsed at about 11.30 looking forward to the week ahead.

Work has been pretty standard. I've had to cajole people to get my systems working correctly, do some support, try to get all those little things sorted that will no doubt annoy me for months to come. I've still to get: a gaijin card (alien registration card), bank account, mobile phone, place to live, furniture, life… but its all good right now. I went out Monday, Tuesday and Thursday for dinner with various dignitaries, but worked late on Wednesday and tried to call some folk in the UK (including my dad, as it was his birthday). As usual, the food here is great. I went for lunch in an Okninawin place yesterday and it was really good. Two big pieces of fatty pork that just melt in your mouth along with some ramen, rice and sashimi. You can't get food like that in the west.

So my plans are: Saturday, go to Ebisu and check it out. I've told the relocation folks to set up some appointments there as it comes highly recommended. Apparently it’s the summer Matsuri (Matsuri = festival) this weekend so Ebisu should be pretty busy. Apparently, this is what Matsuri looks like: http://www.geocities.jp/nagara1971/matsuri/matsuri-gazou-05-006.jpg. Sunday, go back to Toriyama, or Beer mountain as they call it this time of year. Monday, get my Gaijin card - and maybe a mobile phone. Tuesday onwards, hopefully find a place to live.

That’s all for now - oh, lest I forget. I'm heading out in Shibuya tonight which should be good. About thirty people seem to be heading out for karaoke… how could I refuse?

Breaking news - An estate agent just called. I'll be going to view some places tomorrow at 1pm! Yay!

That’s All Folks
SAB-chan

Ps, while searching for pics of the summer festival I found this: http://gaijin-life.info/karlson/kanamara08.jpg Don't ask - because I don't know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So have you come accross any of this yet?

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/homosausage.jpg

Byrney said...

Not yet, I can't say the sausages over here are up to much. I actually had haggis last week - it was made from pork... I tried to convince the pub owner to call it 'STOVIES' instead. He wouldn't listen.