Sunday, August 21, 2005

Paddy's Folly (pt. 2)

At the bequest of Mo-chan, I returned to Paddy Foley's again this weekend - against my better judgement. I couldn't imagine watching Celtic getting trounced by Rangers as being a great way to spend a Saturday night. But then, I hadn't been wise enough to plan an alternative. And so it was I found myself sitting at the AGM of the Tokyo Celtic Supporters Club. Its amazing how football fans are the same the world over - especially Celtic fans. Barring the few local newcomers who were just there to watch Nakamura (as evidenced by there inability to sing ANY celtic song...) these guys were die hard, green nosed, daily record hating celtic supporters. Okay, so it took a couple of Scots, and an Aussie to get it started, but there are Japanese members. As well as (gasp) a Lass from Alloa! The game (for those that missed it) started bad and with the exception of one brief glimmer of hope delivered by Maloney, it only got worse. But Celtic fans are faithful, and the growing lacklustre demonstrated by the team was only a counterpoint to the heartfelt singing from the CSC that continued long after the dismal defeat. And as if any other evidence of their good nature was needed, there was hand shaking and (gulp!) hugs all round for the few Rangers fans that thought it was a good idea to watch an old firm match in an Irish pub... So although the game was shite, I had a good time anyway. There was plenty of banter (Och! The banter!) to be had, and I met a few interesting characters. However, after the game, the evening took a leap into the twilight zone as a 60 year old wig wearing Elvis impersonator turned up and started gently strangling his way through Elvis' greatest hits. Mo-chan and I escaped the pub at this stage and crashed out after grabbing a quick snack. So... even though both times I've been there it was good fun. I don't think I can go back to Paddy Foley's. I didn't come here to watch Celtic games in an Irish pub. I came here to find out about Japan. Next time Neil wants to meet up, I'm going to propose going to Yokohama and going out there. I still haven't met his girlfriend... and I'd like to get outside Tokyo for a day. So - maybe in a couple of weeks thats what I'll do. Not next week though.. I'm moving into my new place! Yay!

No comments: