Sunday, August 07, 2005

Summer Matsuri, Pajamas, Kimonos and Naka Meguro

I went to see a few places in Naka Meguro that I quite liked, so I decided to take a look around in the evening to find out if the area was any good. I have to say I was impressed - the summer Matsuri was right next to the station and I had great fun walking along the parade route and watching all the different groups perform. Naka Meguro (中目黒) seems to be quite lively, although not as lively as Ebisu. The Matsuri seemed to run like so: First the teams set up round the north side of the station up one of the side alleys. They'd build themselves up, let people take photos and generally get in the way. Once they were happy, they'd move off under the bridge and register with the organisers. Once a space opens up, they start the show. Each team walks up the main side street and performs in front of various judge panels. The judge areas are decked out in lots of Lanterns (see photo below). It looks awesome, but it turns out they are just adverts from the sponsors! The procession goes on for a few hours and then I think there are some judging ceremonies and muchos drinking. I went home at that stage as I was getting pretty hungry and had a curry to eat. I heard there might be fireworks as well but I didn't see any. It reminded me of the Mary from Dungloe contest but it was during the night and had more focus on teams that individuals. Anyway, it was all good fun and I had a laugh at the different performers.

More on NakaMeguro - Right next to the station are about four side streets. The ones that lead south west have lots of little shops, restaurants and pubs, whereas the ones that head north east bump into the river. Once you hit the river you can walk along the bank and there are a few more nice places. Most notably is a real Japanese style Tavern (which it turns out I've been to before). Japanese style pubs are well lit, friendly, and have large areas for Tatami mats with low tables. If you come in a group you'll be expected to sit on the Tatami mats (really the floor - but you have to take your shoes off). They serve Japanese beer (Yebisu is my favourit at the moment) and lots of finger food. Its all good stuff and a fun way to try some Japanese foods you might not otherwise have the nerve for. I think it was pretty cheep too but I went back in March so can't really remember.

Lastly, I posted the photos I thought best captured the event. Sorry some of them are a little blurry but my mobile phone camera (although 2 megapixel) doesn't work great in the dark or in low light. Once my camera charger makes it to Japan, I'll try to take photos on my camera and upload them via my mobile. I think that’s the neatest thing I've discovered so far. Since my phone has a SD slot this is dead easy.

Laters

No comments: