Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Gorufu

Saturday was HOT. One of the hottest day's I've felt so far. I think this is mainly because its the first time I've done any outdoor activity on a nice day (well, on any day really). I was invited to a golf contest last week. It wasn't particularly serious, but it was a good chance to meet some people from another bank. As you may have guessed, my current social group doesn't extend very far from the confines of the GS payroll. So it was at 5.30 am (ugh) I got up to get ready for the day. We were meeting in Ebisu (a 15 minute walk from my place) so I showered and left to get there in time for 6.30. Once I got there we then drove back past my house and stopped outside my local convenience store to get breakfast. Ah well, next time I'll know better...

There were eight of us from GS, and another eight from Lehmen Brothers (LB). It was clear after arriving that I was being put in the 'remedial' group. There was Yochihiro - "I've been playing since may!" and Nick "I'm not that good", and finally David "I won't use my driver - it'll give you a chance". Dave is actually pretty decent and did in fact put his driver to good use to almost win the Longest Drive contest... I haven't played properly in a while. Apart from the game in March with Dave, my Boss and a guy from work called Ron, I haven't played serious golf since I was about 14. And even back then I couldn't use a driver.

The game was to be played at Glenmoor Golf Club. Take a look at the website - the place was really flash. There was a random unicorn and a harp statue at either ends of the entrance hall - yes, Hall. The view coming in on the 9th and 18th holes was stunning. It also cost $150 to play - eek! We arrived at around 8am, got changed, I hired some clubs, slapped on some sun block (factor 50 - I still looked a little burnt), and jumped in the funky golf carts to go down the driving range for a practice. We didn't spot the club holders on the back so Dave held the clubs while I slammed on the gas. This was the first time I've drove a golf cart... and poor Dave took the brunt of the danger. Since he was holding the clubs he couldn't hold on the the cart. Excellent . I made sure we made a few extra hairpin turns, drifted onto the grass, and slammed on the brakes a couple of times. Hey, I needed all the advantages I could get! 5 minutes on the range was enough to leave me DRIPPING with sweat. I kid ye not. I was drenched and dehydrated (I'd been drinking the night previously). Ugh, I wanted a shower and we hadn't even started yet.

Tee off was at 8:50. I decided to leave the driver where it could do least damage and stick to the long irons. Wise move - I managed to get round the course in 143. I was 13th out of 16 which I was actually quite happy with. Some of them had a handicap of 7! These guys take their golf seriously. Also, Nick and 'Richard' as Dave kept calling him, had some skills. Nick's putting was excellent, and Yochihiro's driving was pretty decent. Anyway, it was time to relax. The great thing about Japanese golf is that the golf clubs have baths in them. Not individual baths, but more like hot spring pools (or an attempt to recreate the effect). You get washed with a shower whilst sitting on a stool at the edge. Then rinse off and jump in the water. This is awesome, you can just float until the day's stresses melt away. You get out then wash again and if you want, head out to sit in the massage chair (I avoided this - lots dripping wet bodies had been there before me). What could top all this? Ah, beeeer. We had a little presentation for the different prizes, with some cheap looking food. That was OK, the Sapporo beer went down a treat.

After a _very_ long day. I made it home at 5pm, turned off my phone and pretty much lay on the couch all night alternately reading my book and watching DVDs. I was absolutely KNACKERED. I also drank about four pints of water before I felt rehydrated... That was a pretty awesome day.

No comments: